Monday, May 7, 2012

A Small Step for Debi

Writing a blog had been on my list of to-do things for a very long time. However, it kept getting pushed off the page. About a week ago, I saw a posting from Linkedin regarding 23 Things for Professional Development (cpd23) and was intrigued.  I guess the timing was right or I had too little or too much coffee.  (Who am I kidding – you can never have too much coffee.) So, after learning about the award winning program; some soul-searching; and more coffee, I decided to participate. My blog, LibTech Musing, was born.
I wanted to come up with a creative name that reflected my interests and current career choice as a Librarian. As most of you already know, a library is about more than just books. Today, a library is a hybrid of books and technology, hence the name: LibTech. I tend to “muse” a lot; so I decided to include this in the blog title.
My goal for this course and my blog is simple:  a place to share my reflections about librarianship. I hope this will give me an opportunity to look at the good, the bad and the ugly in a constructive manner. Additionally, I hope that my fellow bloggers will join in the conversation and help me traverse library-land and all its ups and downs.  
Off to read another book….Seating Arraignment; meet with a student about APA format and create an Animoto video…

2 comments:

  1. Hi Debi,

    I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, looking for a way to reflect on Librarianship and maybe start some conversations about it in order to learn more about the profession.

    I've started blogs before, but never found a way to put a structure together to help me develop an appropriate writing pace, I guess. Hopefully this program will help both of us doe that. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. I think it is important for us to learn more about our profession and to do a better job at letting other people know about it. This past week, I had conversations with two different people in completely different settings and both ask me about the Dewey Decimal System. I found this very funny, as I work in academics and we use the Library of Congress Classification. It just seemed that the only thing anyone could think to talk to me was about Dewey. We need to change people's frame of reference. We are more than Dewey!

      Delete