Friday, May 18, 2012

Who am I?

            Before “Thing 3”, I hadn’t really thought much about myself as a brand. I have taught social media lessons to students before, but never really elevated these lessons to the level of brand awareness. However, it makes perfect sense.
Just today, I watched a great TED video comparing information to food. In the information world, consumers of information must compartmentalize the information they receive: meat, potatoes, dessert, and junk. Branding will help us end up in the right compartment.  
When I “googled” my name, I was astonished at what I didn’t find. The “real” me was actually the second listing on the page.  I was pleasantly surprised about this. The other “Debi Cheek” works for ESPN and was the first listing. The correct listings included things like my Facebook page; Linkedin page; and pages from the college where I work.  There were several references to some other Debi/Deborah Cheek’s; many of whom have not led such a virtuous life. However, it took me several pages to find most of my significant professional accomplishments.  
Since most people don’t go past page one on Google, I have some work to do to improve my brand.  So, look out Kraft and Coca-Cola, soon Debi Cheek will be a brand to be reckoned with.

No comments:

Post a Comment